Your health and safety are our top priority. In order to insure that you have appropriate coverage, UConn Study Abroad has contracted with HTH Worldwide for study abroad health insurance. Most of you will be required to purchase this insurance as part of your program fees. Some of you will not have to purchase it, either because the country where you will be studying will require you to enroll in their own state mandated insurance plan, or because the study abroad program that you will be on includes its own health insurance plan that is included in the cost of the program. Since this coverage only covers you while abroad, this insurance policy does not replace the health insurance policy you already have. National Student Exchange students will be insured just as if they were at UConn.

HTH Worldwide Insurance

What does it cover?

The HTH Worldwide study abroad insurance plan will provide you with up to $100,000 of medical benefits while you are abroad. There is no deductible per injury or sickness. It provides 100% coverage for physician office visits, inpatient hospital services, and outpatient hospital and physician services. It provides 100% coverage for prescription drugs. It also provides excellent coverage for maternity care if conception takes place while under coverage; inpatient treatment of mental and nervous disorders, including drug or alcohol abuse; treatment of specified therapies, including acupuncture and Physiotherapy, therapeutic termination of pregnancy; routine nursery care of a newborn child of a covered pregnancy; and repairs to sound, natural teeth required due to an injury. In addition it covers accidental death and dismemberment up to $10,000, repatriation of remains up to $25,000, medical evacuation up to $75,000, and a bedside visit from a relative up to $1,500.

In addition to health care coverage, your policy also covers Political Security and Natural Disaster Evacuation Services (DRUM).  In the event of certain emergencies abroad (such as natural disasters and political/social emergencies), DRUM will implement a plan to move you to the nearest safe haven or back to the United States, if needed.  For questions about these services, please call 011 (610) 254- 8769 collect outside the U.S. and (800) 243-2358 inside the United States.

When am I covered?

HTH Worldwide insurance coverage begins either on the date of departure or one day before the mandatory arrival date of the program, whichever comes later. Coverage ends either two days after the official ending date of the program or the date you leave the country where you have been studying, whichever comes first. It is, therefore, important that you retain the health insurance you already have.

How do I get a medical insurance ID card?

An HTH identification card is provided to each study abroad participant prior to departure and will be emailed to your UConn email address. Emergency phone numbers are listed on the reverse side of the card. Study abroad participants should contact HTH Customer services at the number listed below for a replacement card.

What do I do if I lose my card or have questions about my benefits?

If you need a replacement card or have questions about benefits, you can always contact HTH Worldwide directly:

Telephone: 888-243-2358 Email:

What do I do if I get sick or injured?

It is important that you contact HTH Global Health and Safety first for all routine, non-emergency requests for health information, direct billing with physicians and hospitals, and outpatient appointment scheduling. By contacing HTH first, they will be able to start the billing process and you will not be stuck paying upfront and waiting to be reimbursed.

Telephone: 610-254-8744 Email:

In the event of a medical emergency, students should go immediately to the nearest physician or hospital and then contact HTH’s emergency assistance service, MEDEX. HTH Worldwide, in conjunction with MEDEX, will continuously monitor the student’s medical situation, and provide care options, if appropriate.

MEDEX 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance: Telephone: 610-254-8771 Collect calls from outside the United States are accepted.

How do I find a doctor in my area?

HTH is contracted with more than 3,300 carefully selected doctors, dentists and behavioral health practitioners in 160 countries around the world. Study abroad participants can search by location and review the professional background of HTH contracted physicians, choosing the one most appropriate to treat his or her medical condition. Requests for appointments can be made directly to the physician, or can be coordinated through HTH Global Health and Safety. Requests for direct billing should be made in advance of the scheduled appointment through HTH Global Health and Safety. To find a HTH doctor click here and then click on the link “doctor search” on the top center of the page.

What do I do if I am unable to locate an HTH Worldwide doctor?

You can always go to any doctor, pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. You may, however, first want to contact HTH Worldwide to see if they can locate a doctor for you:

Telephone: 610-254-8744 Email:

If I have to pay out of pocket, how do I get reimbursed?

By filing a claim with a receipt for your expenses/services and sending it to HTH Worldwide. This claim form can be used for prescriptions, and for fees for outpatient services not invoiced directly to HTH. Claim forms are available online at You may send completed claim forms to the following address:

HTH Worldwide Insurance ServicesAttn: International Claims DepartmentOne Radnor Corporate Center, Suite 100Radnor, PA 19087 USA

Fax claims to: 610-293-3529

HTH International Claims

Claims related questions can be directed to:

Telephone: 610-254-8749 Email:

Can I extend my coverage beyond the duration of my study abroad program?

Yes, as long you are enrolled as a student of the university.